One of the things I enjoy about this time of year are the beautiful wild flowers all along the roadsides and fields. The most abundant being the Lupins in various shades of pinks and purples and the occasional white in amongst. They do look gorgeous in mass, although one of my favourites has to be the Blue Flag Iris which just started to flower this week and I managed to get a photo on my morning walk. I think this one is called the Northern Blue Flag and is the floral emblem of Quebec and perhaps the inspiration for the fleur de lys. I have been on the lookout for the Nova Scotia floral emblem the Mayflower (Epigaea repens) for a few weeks now , but I have not spotted it yet. It grows along the East coast of North America. Early American settlers called it mayflower because they saw it as the first flower of spring. They named it after their ship, which carried them to North America in 1620.
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment